Research Assistant (Archival Research) – 3 months
The research assistant will work remotely under the supervision of Dr Dahlia Simangan (PI) for a research project funded by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science titled, “Urban Sites of Peace and Conflict in Marawi City, Philippines: Just Another Brick in the Wall?” The project seeks to find out how local communities use key urban sites for building peace in war-torn cities. The scope of work entails transcribing and translating audio recording, visiting archives, managing references, reading and writing reports, and reporting regularly with the PI.
- Must be a Filipino based in the Philippines, preferably from Mindanao
- A bachelor’s degree in any social science discipline is required but a postgraduate degree is preferred
- Evidence of academic writing skills in English (e.g., sample publication)
- Ability to communicate in Meranaw/Bisaya
- Ability to undertake archival research
- Familiarity with the Marawi Siege and the broader peace and conflict situation in Mindanao
- Complete a research preparatory meeting with the PI
- Undertake an archival research of the following selected urban sites in Marawi City: bridges critical during the conflict, Grand Mosque, Bato Mosque, St. Mary’s Cathedral, and the I Love Marawi sign. These sites will be finalized in consultation with the RA.
- Report to the PI every two weeks through a Zoom meeting
- A minimum 3,000-word written report (excluding references) for each site should consist of the following:
– The history and cultural significance of the site
– The relevance of the site during the Marawi Siege
– The rebuilding plans for the site (including names of agencies involved, blueprints of the plans, and other relevant documents and information
– Summary of available news articles and/or monitoring and evaluation of the rebuilding plan for the site
– Photos of the site before and after the Marawi Siege
- List of references used in the report and a Zotero folder of those references
- Photos copies of archival materials, news articles, and other relevant reports
[SCHEDULE OF DELIVERABLES]
- Site reports on the bridges by September 30, 2021
- Site reports on the Grand Mosque and Bato Mosque by October 31, 2021
- Site reports on St. Mary’s Cathedral and I Love Marawi sign by November 30, 2021
- Send a resume and sample publication to Dr Dahlia Simangan at simanganhiroshima-u.ac.jp with subject title: “Research Assistant (Archival Research)” by August 13, 2021.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to a Zoom meeting tentatively scheduled on August 16, 2021. Additional details of the project will be shared during the interview.
- Selected applicant is expected to start by September 1, 2021.